What to see in Turin

(75)

Royal Palace

The Royal Palace is an impressive seventeenth-century building, which has been altered and extended on various occasions down the centuries. It still bears traces of the work of the most important artists active in Turin. Until 1865 it served as...

(75)

Mole Antonelliana - Cinema Museum

The Mole is the symbol of Turin. The tower's composite, classical style contrasts with its verticalism. Until a few years ago it was the highest stone building in Europe (167.50 metres). The Mole was built in 1863 like Synagogue, then become the...

(75)

St. John's Cathedral

The present-day cathedral was the first example in Turin of Renaissance architecture and was built at the behest of Bishop Domenico Della Rovere on the site of three medieval churches dedicated to the Saviour, John the Baptist and the Virgin...

(75)

National Cinema Museum

The National Cinema Museum was opened in july 2000 in the building that symbolises Turin the Mole Antonelliana.

The exhibition space covers 3.200 square metres and spans five floors. The themes of the floors are: the Archaeology of Cinema,...

(75)

National Museum of the Italian Risorgimento

The National Museum of the Italian Risorgimento is housed in Palazzo Carignano, a Baroque palace which Duke Emmanuele Filiberto commissioned Guarini to build in 1679, and which was finally completed between 1864 and 1872. Its thirty rooms house...

(75)

Superga Basilica

The Basilica of Superga was commisioned by Amedeo II of Savoy: it was designed by Filippo Juvarra in 1717 and completed in 1731. It was built to fulfil a vow made to the Virgin Mary - to whom a chapel is dedicated on the hill - by the Duke on the...

(75)

Valentine Park

This celebrated park extends along the left bank of the river Po at the foot of the hills, between the King Umberto I and Princess Isabella bridges. It is very close to the centre of town, and about one kilometre from the Porta Nuova main railway...

(75)

Palazzo Madama

Palazzo Madama stands in the centre of Castle Square. The history of the Palace reflects the history of the city. Infact its baroque facade contrasts sharply with older medieval parts to lend the building a most unorthodox apparence. The palace...

(75)

Egyptian museum

The Egyptian Museum houses the most important collection of ancient Egyptian artefacts outside Cairo. Founded in 1824 by King Carlo Felice after acquiring the collection of the archeologist Drovetti, the museum contains 30.000 exhibits. It...

(75)

Civic Museum of Ancient Art (at Palazzo Madama)

The Museum collections contain over 70,000 works dating from mediaeval to Baroque times. 3800 works are on display.

Paintings, sculptures, illuminated manuscripts, majolica and porcelain, metalwork, furniture and fabrics illustrate the...

(75)

Real Armeria

This is one of the world's richest collections of arms. The museum was opened in 1837 by King Charles Albert, and occupies part of the Gallery that linked the Royal Palace with Palazzo Madama. The collection contains many types of swords,...

(75)

Museum of the Shroud

This museum, located in evocative premises beneath the Baroque Church of the Sacred Shroud, allows the visitors to follow an itinerary through interactive stations and multimedia systems. They may also examine finds, religious artefacts and the...

(75)

Automobile Museum

The Car Museum, one of the most important in Europe, traces the evolution of cars from their origins up to the eighties through a display of over 150 original models, along with miniatures, prints, posters and drawings. The Museum houses many...

(75)

Palazzo Carignano

Palazzo Carignano is one of the Guarini's most original creations. It was built in 1679-1685 with an undulating baroque facade, a majestic atrium and a lovely gardens. The Palace of the Savoy - Carignano line has staged many of the most important...

(75)

Piazza San Carlo

(75)

Royal Gardens

(75)

Sabauda Gallery

The Gallery houses noteworthy collections. It was established by Cerlo Alberto in 1832 on the basis of the old picture collection of the Dukes and Kings of Savoy. Since 1865 the Gallery has been situated on the second floor of the...

(75)

Fiat Lingotto plant

Lingotto is a district of Turin, Italy, and the location of the Lingotto building in Via Nizza. This building once housed an automobile factory built by Fiat. Construction started in 1916 and the building opened in 1923. The design (by young...

(75)

Theater Regio

The Teatro Regio ('Royal Theatre') is a prominent opera house and opera company in Turin. Its season runs from October to June with the presentation of eight or nine operas given from five to twelve performances of each.
Several buildings...

(75)

Church of the Great Mother of God

This circular church was built in strict Neo-Classical style between 1827 and 1831 by Ferdinand Bonsignore to celebrate the return of Vittorio Emanuele I to Turin after the Congress of Vienna. In the interior of the church there is a sculpture of...

(75)

Church of San Lorenzo

The ancient little church of Santa Maria del Presepio was restored in 1563 and dedicated to San Lorenzo by Duke Emanuele Filiberto to fulfil a vow made during the Battle of San Quintino on 10 August 1557.
The plans for the present church,...

(75)

Santa Maria al Monte

The church, dedicated to the Madonna, is situated at the top of Monte dei Cappuccini. Building began in 1584 to plans by Ascanio Vitozzi and the church was consecrated in 1656. 
The building has a central plan in the form of a Greek cross and...

(75)

Porta Palatina

The Palatine Gate (Italian: Porta Palatina or Porte Palatine; Piedmontese: Tor Roman-e) is a Roman Age city gate located in Turin, Italy. The gate provided access through the city walls of Julia Augusta Taurinorum (modern Turin) from the North...

(75)

Borgo Museum and Medieval Fortress

Designed by a group of artists and intellectuals (coordinated by Alfredo d'Andrade) and built to coincide with the Italian General Exhibition of 1884, the Medieval Village's form, structure, finishings and decorations rigorously reproduce those...

(75)

Palace of the Academy of Sciences (Egyptian Museum and Sabauda Gallery)

(75)

Museum of Antiquity - National Archaeological Museum of Piedmont

Made up of the collections of the Dukes of Savoy, which were started by Emmanuel Filibert, the core of the Museum of Antiquities has grown since then. Today it's divided in three Sections.

Historical collections, that include: the great...

(75)

Piazza Castello

Piazza Castello was designed in 1564 by Vitozzi. It's lined with porticoes and is the real heart of the city: here and hereabouts stand the great buildings that have witnessed the development of the city, from the ancient Roman era to our days....

(75)

Botanical Garden

Founded in 1729 already by the 1820s the gardens containedan orangery, a hothouse and herbarium-museum. In about 1835 a small wood was annexed to it and further additions were made at the turn of the century. It was reopened to the public in 1997...

(75)

Modern and Contemporary Art Gallery

The collection contains over 15,000 works, including paintings, sculptures, installations and photographs, as well as a rich collection of drawings and engravings. The collections cover the period from the end of the eighteenth century to the...

(75)

Consulate Sanctuary

The Sanctuary of Maria Consolatrice, linked to the cult of the Virgin, has ancient origins. Originally dedicated to Saint Andrew, it already existed in the 10th century. The bell tower and possibly the underground chapel of the Madonna delle...

(75)

Queen's Villa

The Villa della Regina in Turin is one of the Piedmontese Residences of the Royal House of Savoy listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site.

It is the only vigna collinare (hill vineyard) to have reached us with all the elements that...

(75)

Albertina Academy Picture Gallery

The gallery, housed in the building of the Academy since 1837, came into being for educational purposes, when the Mossi di Morano collection was bequeathed(1828). It comprises works from the fifteenth century to the eighteenth century (Filippo...

(75)

Church of Santa Cristina

The church was built at the behest of Maria Cristina of France in 1639 to plans by Carlo di Castellamonte and completed by his son Amedeo. The façade, designed by Filippo Juvarra and built between 1715 and 1718, has a double order with statues of...

(75)

Valentine's Castle

It is no doubt the whole Valentino's park's most famous building. Its origins date from the early 16th Century. Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy acquired it in 1564. Later Carlo Emanuele I (the Iron Head's son) bequeathed it to Marie Christine of...

(75)

National Library

The National University Library (Biblioteca nazionale universitaria in Italian) in Turin is one of the country's main libraries.
It was founded in 1720 as the Royal University Library by Victor Amadeus II, who unified collections from the...

(75)

Piazza Carlo Felice

(75)

Corso Vittorio Emanuele II

(75)

Regional Museum of Natural Sciences

Instituted in 1978, the Regional Museum of Natural Sciences is housed in the seventeenth-century building of the former Ospedale San Giovanni Battista. Its collections includes zoology, entomology, botany, mineralogy, geology and paleontology, in...

(75)

Church of San Filippo Neri

This is the largest church in Turin, 69 metres long by 37 metres wide. The building was begun in the second half of the 17th century to the plans of Antonio Bettino but the collapse of the dome in 1714 necessitated reconstruction and this was...

(75)

Foundation Sandretto Re Rebaudengo

The Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo's new centre for contemporary art is a new cultural centre for Turin, a city that is already particularly active in the field of contemporary art. The new space, designed by architect Claudio Silvestrin, and...